Friday, August 17, 2012

Problems...sleeping?

Are you proud of your sleeping habits?Do you manage to sleep 8 hours a night? Do you like falling asleep with the aid of TV?Do you fall asleep right on the keyboard...and wake up on the sofa? These are just a few questions that we could ask related to the way sleep can affect the efficiency of our daily life.
I am not at all a role-model in terms of sleeping for anyone and I could call myself a night bird, a TV addicted (especially before sleeping), a constant seeker for those hours of perfect and sane sleep.
I can't remember the best sleep I have ever had, but I do remember the struggle...
Ever since I was a child, there were nights I had to stand up from the bed and find something to do just to ease my body aches due to lack of proper sleep. Now that I am a grown-up I sometimes do the same.Well I can't actually complain, some of these nights were perfect for a piece of writing (a short-story, maybe a poem), I even managed to finish my University diploma working at nights. But I guess the moment I considered lack of sleep a card up my sleeve was when I got hired for my present job. The question was: "Are you willing to work in the evenings, sometimes up to 9, 9:30 pm?".No need to cite my answer, you might have already guessed the excitement. That's when I start living...
Even if I should be grateful to my body for staying alive and functioning well after these night adventures, I am scared to think of the long-term effects. Just the other day, I came across some interesting facts related to sleep problems or explanations for these anomalies and I can now consider the site a great SLEEP RESOURCE for those of you in search of answers. Let me give just a few hints, and start with a famous phrase:
Did you know that..
-beauty treatments have a greater effect if you sleep for 7-8 hours a night, or that proper sleep helps your heart and make you live longer?
-by giving the body proper rest you actually keep the pounds from adding on your tights?
-tests have been developed to measure the sleep eficiency and that the efficiency ratio is an important tool for doctors when diagnosing the pacient sleep disorder?
-there are sleep disorders (such as sleep apnea,insomnia or poor sleep hygiene) we might have without even knowing?
-nowadays we can purchase fire-retardant sleepware for kids; clothes that can limit the spread of fire if there is one?
-depression can also be linked to sleep disorders or changes in sleeping patterns?
The bottom line is that most of us neglect this aspect of daily life, especially teenagers who prove their worth by the non-sleep hours spent playing games or chatting on the Internet.
"Tell me how you sleep...and I will tell you who you are" could become as relevant as its more famous counterpart.
Wishing you a sound sleep...


No comments:

Post a Comment