Saturday, August 25, 2012

A slice of...laughter

I have always enjoyed comedies, intelligent jokes and sometimes black humour.I simply can't imagine life without a good laughing in times of panic or deception, or even better, while sharing quality time among friends. I am not sure if LAUGHTER is a good therapy, a wonderful cure, a means of letting go, but it surely does more good than bad.
It often takes time and courage to share a smile, or use a sincere smile during a fight instead of a sharp word. It might be harder than we imagine at a first glance.I consider it a real struggle between the child inside and the social mask we all put on to be accepted and appreciated. I was often considered childish (not that I really mind people thinking so),  maybe superficial, unable to take on responsibilities, showing too much disponibility, or on the contrary, lacking ability to learn the deeper meanings of life. I need to contradict those who think by laughing or smiling, by showing a happy face we can only be seen as mere "comedians", aimless people or easygoing. I love this quote: " Man is nearly himself  when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play" (Heraclitus). I think it says it all... Secondly, being a professional comedian needs wits, skills, lots of hard work and a huge talent. One of the most beautiful and challenging profession...make people listen to you, accept their flaws and  laugh from the heart...I remember watching Stan and Ollie when I was little and the happiness they brought each time I could see their "fights", then I discovered some wonderful stand up comedy actors and understood a different type of humour. Watching some of the most popular comedians, each with their unique style it's like sitting in a big room where Life broadcasts the every day show. I remember Paul Auster' "Book of Illusions" and how wonderfully black&white comedy bits manage to change the life of the main character, how laughter transforms his deserted soul into a seeker and a fan of the real comedy of life.
But a remarkable film, mainly based on pantomime, a sort of bitter humour can be seen in RUMBA
(the story of a couple very fond of rumba, who need to reinvent their life after a car accident) needs no words. It has got everything, I would even call it a sample of intelligent humorous work of art... Enjoy:
P.S. I would love to hear about your favorite comedy clips or jokes or comedians, maybe even make your own list of names (a top 5 at least).

No comments:

Post a Comment