Sunday, March 25, 2012

Music in/is teaching

I am now listening to a great radio station, Romantic Fm , actually my favorite category is Romantic Fresh; great music to my ears...Micatone-Handbrake and while I was typing it got changed into some Asian song that dropped a smile on my lips...innocent, sweet, modern and classic at the same time- worth listening.
Music has always been a part of my life, it has changed shape just like myself, it has cried, smiled, wondered and lost hope, then again it rose and sharpened or softened according to the mood, it has even disappeared from the stage for a while...There have been times when I thought waking up and going to sleep with music could only be a teenager timetable, not a mature person's one.But I was so wrong...I realized that music (good one I am talking about-the quality and the talent that saps the lyrics and sound) can offer us redemption in a world where there is no much soul-wise reflection and where people seem lost and scared most of the time.
Then I also noticed that I work better with music, I can plan great lessons and then I have constantly used music in my classes not only to practice some skills, but to "animate" my students, as class management so to speak.
Why is music very that important in teaching? I would be curious to hear what your opinion is- if you think is important or maybe you consider it a "waste of time"...
I can simply assure you I experienced great moments among my students, I saw shy or introvert people ('cause I work with adults) becoming "somebody else" when listening to a great voice, noticed the nostalgia in their eyes when I played Beatles or Leonard Cohen, or ABBA...Secondly these great artists composed clear music- that is the one students can understand and follow throughout the entire song.It's like catching two birds with one stone- entertainment and apprehension.
Then, feeling the music (in a wider sense) is a quality that any teacher should posses, meaning any teacher should feel the student/s , tune his own style and methods of teaching in order to achieve real and long-term understanding of the language.
Music is more than a word , it's a phenomenon that's still under discovery by musicians themselves, philosophers, writers, scientists.That's why is fascinating...it can shape its meaning according to the context or purpose. As written in the definition the word derives from the Greek  mousikê (tekhnê),it actually says the Muse, the inspiration -and don't we, teachers need that sometimes? Some scientists talk about the music as a language or a treatment, some refer to it as a marked-based, problem-solving method such as mathematics.
I think is always a great challenge to find the tune and have my students sing along, together as a group.
What would you make of music in teaching and in your lives?

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion, music is more than important in teaching, because it creates a sort of feeling that "just words" fail to.

    ReplyDelete