Wednesday, September 7, 2011

September is full of surprises.


"Have you got a trainer diploma"? this is how it all started...
I haven't imagined I could possibly need this kind of diploma after having finished the University and after almost 5 years of teaching/training children and adults. But it seemed I needed one... So I "called a friend" (in the person of my friend-colleague and "theonewhofindssolutionswhenIlackideas") and there we were, calling the company providing this kind of training of trainers and the adjacent diploma.
The same day I found out my trainer was a former student in our school :) -"this should be interesting" I thought.
So, I went to the course. That evening while rewinding the first training day, I realized how ignorant I had been and how important is to never come to a training meeting with some sort of stereotype expectations. Our trainer was indeed a well-prepared trainer and I could learn new ways of improving the relation with my students and also to be aware of my non-verbal behavior that can so much influence the teaching process.
So, dear teachers, here are some tips I learned and I am gladly sharing:
- it's highly important to stand  when you present the information, sit down and keep the same level with your students when you discuss the information and keep yourselves "away from the scene" when your students work on tasks (they should feel free to work and not pay attention to you)
-if you use a flip-chart never position the flip-chart between you and your students (always keep it somewhere behind you) and try to write on the flip-chart without covering it entirely.   
- always focus on the practical part rather than offering too much information (structure your training so that you have a longer period of time set for exercises)
-keep an eye-contact with the people in front of you and pay attention to the non-verbal message you are sending while teaching/presenting.
-discuss with the trainees the applied activities (refer not only to the message- if it was clear enough and useful, but to the feelings related to that activity- if it was difficult, frustrating, thrilling, enlightening)
-each training session must have an opening and a closure (never stop imagining creative ways to lead your trainees into the subject-don't just "hit" them with the theme, or find funny ways of assuring the correct feed-back at the end of the session; don't just say "goodbye, see you tomorrow")
-last, but not the least, make sure you work with a group not with individuals (have them enjoy being there, accept each other, respect each other, maybe even make friends)
 P.S. I really enjoyed interacting with the people I met at this course and I finally understood how important is to create a nice working environment for my students, a relaxing one, because if you are happy with the people surrounding you the learning part goes smoothly.






No comments:

Post a Comment