Friday, September 30, 2011

Forever young

Saying Goodbye can be the hardest thing ,no matter the age or the time it happens. The lesson they have never taught us in school, nor in those 7 years spent in our childhood universe is that one day we will say Goodbye to our loved ones. And we will never see them again.It sounds so abrupt and heartless, because it is so. And it's sad, really sad, because although we know this day will come, we can't forsee it. The only thing we can do is at least keep this in mind and try to share good moments. But still, the loss will be there and there will be no turning back.
What I know for sure is that after the first goodbye we change, our heart is no longer innocent. Losing a parent, a grandparent or a good friends destroys our balance and we turn into a different creature: the one who saw the abyss and treasures even more every dawn and dusk, the one who understood the intensity of ultimate pain, the one who laughs back at those highschool break-ups or at the tragedy impling an unsuccessful party or a stained expensive dress.
There is a nice lesson though, the one I could learn from my grandfather: how to stay forever young, how to keep yourself lighthearted and worthy of respect, how to cherish your family and the love of your children, grandchildren, even neighbours.He has taught me the power of a smile, the beauty of helping the ones who can't help themselves, the strenght in front of the last step, the strenght to never complain, nor show the pain.
He has always been the childish type, but he has been loved mainly by children; they must have felt the goodness in him...

So I will thank him now for everything, I will thank him for those moments when he pretended he hadn't noticed my mistakes, I will apologize for not calling him enough when I had the chance, for missing his birthdays, for not spending more time with him. I will tell him now what I couldn't say then, I will say my goodbye to him and thank him billion times for being himself, for never losing his ground and for loving life so much... for loving me so much...



No comments:

Post a Comment